Payroll & Benefits Administrator
GreyStone Power Corporation
The Payroll and Benefits Administrator is responsible for the day-to-day administration of payroll and employee benefit plans including medical, dental, vision, Life/AD&D insurance, salary continuation (formerly STD) and long-term disability insurance, defined benefit and defined contribution plans, COBRA, leave of absence and flexible spending account. This position handles disability claims and ensures compliance with applicable laws, regulations and company policies. It also serves as Wellness Coordinator for the cooperative.
- Serve as single point of contact for employees, retirees and directors with respect to benefits enrollment, benefit program options, questions regarding qualified life status changes.Coordinate conversion to retiree insurance, pension options and COBRA continuation at termination.Coordinate annual open enrollment process and communications with stakeholders.
- Respond to benefit and payroll inquiries by employees, spouses (with permission of employee), insurance companies and third-party providers.Serve as a resource to employees on any payroll related questions, including paid time off, catastrophic illness leave, disability/FMLA leave or tax inquiries.
- Serve as primary contact with benefit vendors, consultants, brokers and auditors regarding ongoing plan administration.Ensure that vendor processes are in place and working properly.Resolves discrepancies and issues on claims.
- Administer benefit plans and programs.Ensure all benefits data is entered correctly into company and provider systems.Provide input and suggestions for enhancements to insurance and retirement programs to ensure high-quality benefits at the lowest cost.
- Establish and maintain familiarity with provisions of existing as well as new federal and state laws to help determine impact on benefit plans and ensure compliance with COBRA, HIPAA, ERISA, FMLA, ADA, PPACA and other federal and state regulations.
- Ensure all benefit plan documents, SPD’s, SAR’s and required notifications are current and distributed as required.
- Serve as backup liaison to worker’s compensation provider.
- Coordinate and implement Wellness program and initiatives.Coordinate health fairs for cooperative employees.Coordinate community health fair at Annual Meeting.
- Coordinate any necessary HR intranet development with Information Services; manage the Benefits page on the intranet site. Process bi-weekly payroll and associated changes (taxes, benefits and direct deposits).Sets up new deduction and benefit codes in payroll system and maintains the same.
- Maintains bi-weekly reconciliation of gross/net wages, state, federal, FICA and Medicare taxes as well as section 125 benefits, 401(k) and 457(b).
- Works with Accounting on bi-weekly payroll process, quarterly and annual tax filings including comprehensive review of draft W-2’s.Prepare and upload W-2 information to NRECA and other agencies as required by law.
- Administers and process garnishments including disbursements.Coordination of the same with affected employee, Accounting, and garnishing entities as necessary.
- Processes all earnings, tax, deduction and benefit changes to ensure the accuracy of W-2’s.
- Manages the taxable benefits such as company owned vehicles-transportation (quarterly) and insurance over 50k on a bi-weekly basis.
- Calculates and updates paid time off benefits for part time employees each pay period.
- Conducts monthly review, reconciliation and payment processing of benefit invoices.Works with benefit providers on any billing or payment issues.
- Along with the HR Manager ensures compliance with board policies relating to payroll and benefits.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in a related Business field.
- CBP (Certified Benefits Professional) and/or Payroll certification is required.
- Five years’ experience in administration of benefits plans including health and welfare, defined benefit (pension) and defined contribution (401k) plans.
- Five years’ accounting and/or payroll experience required.
- In-depth knowledge of, FMLA, COBRA, HIPAA, ERISA and Section 125 with a working knowledge of OSHA.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with a strong customer service mindset.
- Relates effectively with all levels of management and employees, internal and external stakeholders.
- Sense of urgency; ability to multi-task and meet frequent deadlines.
- Displays discretion in handling confidential and sensitive information.
- Demonstrated strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Must satisfactorily pass the EMC's employment physical examination and required drug screens.
- Must be able to report to work for assistance in other areas when there is a storm or large outage situation in the service area.